How to Implement a Project Management Office?
Organizations need to be introduced to Project Management Office that will drive them to success. Though different organization may have different needs, its leaders must be equipped in recognizing the need for better governance. While there could be lots of advice as to how to run a business, it is important for the organizations to be informed about the importance of having a project management office. This structures its principles, and practices by using methodologies which later becomes a guide and optimizes the business processes. Discipline in management has become one of the major concerns within organizations. Project management office is the most effective solution for implementing project management.
This kind of method is the same when trying to analyze an actual situation and define the results through developed and tailored designs. This could consist of various stages which ensure the quality and authenticity of the resources being used. Smart change management must also engage to ensure its acceptance and success. But, the challenge is designing it and be relevant to the organization’s goals. This provides a framework on the conditions and the project management maturity.
A project management office can control the governance of projects, and oversee it. it can operate on an enterprise level and therefore much strategic. In PMO, people agree that it is required and the benefits must be articulated well. The processes included must be matured enough to get the value and create a long term commitment.
How to start creating a Project Management Office? Brainstorming must then be done with the other stakeholders in the company and make them agree with it, before implementing a PMO. Once they agreed, follow these steps:
- Prepare. Yes, you should prepare. Prepare yourself and condition yourself that what you are taking is a path not taken by many. Take the time to establish all the rules and all the things needed. Do a lot of research and make sure that other tasks are being done so you would not want to think about it. Clear your mind and focus on why there is a need to create a project management office.
- You have to identify which type of Project management office would be suitable to the organization. Criteria must be set. The goals are needed to be specified and must reflect the entire company as well. Support it with the proper documents and make sure that it is authentic.
- Make alliances and make sure that your network has influences as well. Brainstorm with them and convince them with the data you gathered. Ensure you have a robust business case and plan. You must have the mindset that establishing a PMO is a project in itself and your time is required to manage it.
- Also assess the weakness and strengths of the Project Management methods. Additionally, in the beginning it must be ascertained what should be treated as project and thus fall under the PMO’s responsibility, or what should rather remain under the control of the departments as line activity. It may include the following:
- Project and program governance
- Performance management
- Schedule management
- Financial management
- Risk, Issue and Scope Management
- Resource Management
- Quality management
- Communications management
- Supplier Management
These functions can be applied in the program and the level depends on the organizational need. Examining the day to day execution of the projects in the organization, a Project management office can identify initiation of opportunities.
- Make a list of recommendations. Include in your recommendation that there is a need to provide better governance for better decision making; It is also important that tracking the progress of the business processes will help identify the risks; Quality assurance must also be reviewed to make the clients satisfied with the product; Consult and mentor when needed; provide good resource management.
There are a lot of project management plans which could be long term or short term. Just focus on the project level maturity and then tackle a program where the project management processes improves as the organizations improves as well. Every maturity level has a final level of continuous improvement. This just a step on evolving the value of a Project management office that will suffice every business needs.